Apple Crumb Cake skillet
This cake is best enjoyed wearing cozy socks, sitting by a warm fire and binge watching Netflix shows.
Servings: 5 people
Apple Filling ingredients:
- 2 cups finely chopped apples about 2 peeled apples, we used granny smith
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot OR tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup+ 3 tablespoons almond flour
- ½ cup cassava flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon cashew butter could sub with another nut butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
Apple Filling instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- In a saucepan, coat the apples in the arrowroot starch.
- Place on stove top and set to medium heat. After one minute, mix in cinnamon and sugar, toss again until evenly coated, let cook for another minute.
- Pour water over the entire thing, mix and let simmer WITH a lid on.
- After cooking for 5 minutes, take off heat, mix in lemon juice and set aside while preparing the dough.
For the Crumbs:
- Combine oil, cashew butter and syrup in a small bowl with the back of a fork.
- Add in flours and cinnamon and continue to combine with back of fork.
- This will be dry and crumbly, but will form together if squeezed in the palm of your hand.
For the Cake
- Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl, set aside.
- Whisk together all wet ingredients in a separate small bowl and pour into dry ingredients.
- Whisk together until all lumps are gone and a smooth batter is achieved
- Grease the bottom and sides of an 8” skillet(an 8” cake pan will work too) with coconut oil.
- Pour haf the cake batter into skillet and spread so it fills the pan to its sides.
- Pour all of the apple mixture on top of that, making an even layer that covers the cake batter.
- Pour the rest of the cake batter over the apple layer, filling the skillet to the top.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the whole top, breaking the pieces up with your fingers as you sprinkle.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- *Optional* Drizzle with roasted coconut butter for an extra boost of flavor!
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Serving Size 1
Servings Per Container 5
Amount Per Serving
Calories 377 Calories from Fat 189
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21g 32%
Saturated Fat 9g 45%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 270mg 11%
Total Carbohydrate 45g 15%
Dietary Fiber 8g 32%
Protein 6g 12%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.