Chocolate Strawberry High Hat Cupcakes
What is a "high-hat" cupcake exactly? It's a cupcake with a large mound(or hat) of icing on top. It's then dipped and hidden with a dried chocolate shell, so you can bite into the icing revealing the white inside. These cupcakes are as fun to eat as they are to make!
Servings: 20 cupcakes
- 6 ounces cassava flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup roughly chopped strawberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 3 cans full fat coconut milk (refrigerate overnight for best results!)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ cup Sweet and Salty Roasted Coconut Butter melted
- ½ cup 5 oz melted dark primal chocolate
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
For the Cupcake:
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients, until well combined.
- Mix together all of the wet ingredients, until well combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry, until combined. Divide evenly in muffin pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool.
For the Strawberry filling:
- Combine all ingredients in small saucepan and cook on medium heat with cover on for 4 minutes.
- Take off cover and mash the berries with back of fork.
- Cook again with the lid off for 5 minutes to thicken a little and set aside to cool.
For the Coconut Whip:
- Scoop coconut fat off tops of cans and dispose of the liquid.
- Whip with whip attachment on stand mixer or with hand mixer.
- Once fluffy, add in maple syrup and coconut butter.
- Mix until just combined. Set in fridge.
- Carefully scoop out center of each cupcake and fill with a spoonful of the strawberry filling.
- Close up the hole with the piece of cake you just scooped out.
- Fill a piping bag(or large ziplock bag) with coconut whip and snip a corner creating a ½” circle.
- Pipe a tall swirl on the cupcake and stick in freezer for at least 20 minutes so the icing firms up and sticks well to the cupcake.
- In small narrow bowl, mix together chocolate and coconut oil.
- Dip each cupcake into melted chocolate so you can no longer see the white icing.
- Let some of the excess chocolate drip off(not too much though) and set in fridge to set up. Enjoy!
Yields: 10 cupcakes
Serving Size 1/2 cupcake
Servings Per Container 20
Amount Per Serving
Calories 195 Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10g 15%
Saturated Fat 10g 50%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 10mg 3%
Sodium 85mg 4%
Total Carbohydrate 20g 7%
Dietary Fiber 4g 16%
Protein 2g 4%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.