Holiday Yule Log Cake
This Yule Log is not like the rest, unlike the others it is rolled up with a lightly sweetened cashew butter and 100% paleo. There is no guilt added.
Servings: 10 slices
- 6 ounces cassava flour
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup coconut oil ,melted
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup creamy cashew butter (or any creamy nut butter)
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped dark primal chocolate
- ½ cup non dairy milk to be more festive, we just So Delicious Eggnog!
For the Chocolate Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients, until well combined.
- Mix together all of the wet ingredients, until well combined.
- Pour wet into dry, until combined.
- Pour the batter into a 15 by 10 by 1-inch jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the cake is baked through.
While cake is still hot:
- Loosen edges of cake, invert cake onto another piece of parchment paper laid on large counter top, flipping pan upside down so the baked cakes falls out onto the parchment laid down.
- Gently peel wax paper off cake. Trim 1/4-inch of hard crust off each long side of the cake.
- Begin with the narrow side and roll the cake and parchment up together. Cool cake on rack, seam side down, for 10 to 15 minutes.
For the Filling:
- Mix together the cashew butter and maple syrup with a rubber spatula until it starts to thicken a bit. Add salt and vanilla. Set aside. If you feel this is too thick, add some non-dairy milk, one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.
For the Icing:
- Once cake has cooled, gently unroll and spread cake with nut butter filling and re-roll.
- Spread the icing over the whole top, purposely making it “messy” so it has a “tree bark look” to it.
- You can enjoy right away, or decorate with berries, powdered sugar, more chocolate, etc.
Serving Size 1 slice
Servings Per Container 10
Amount Per Serving
Calories 450 Calories from Fat 225
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25g 38%
Saturated Fat 10g 50%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 20mg 7%
Sodium 155mg 6%
Total Carbohydrate 55g 18%
Dietary Fiber 6g 24%
Protein 7g 14%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.