Paleo Bite Sized Banana Cream Pies
A very gooey banana pudding sits atop of a crunchy cookie bottom with a chocolate top whose saltiness adds another depth of flavor to this Southern dessert staple that’s been made bite-sized!
Vanilla Pudding Ingredients:
- 1 can full fat coconut milk use coconut fat skimmed from top of can, leaving behind the water
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1.5 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ cup cassava flour plus more for dusting
- ¼ cup arrowroot flour
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 banana
- ¼ cup melted dark chocolate
For the Vanilla Pudding:
- Let coconut milk and maple syrup come to a light boil on medium heat.
- While it’s heating, whisk together egg yolk and arrowroot powder in a separate small bowl.
- Take out about ½ cup of the boiling milk, and quickly whisk that in into the egg mixture.(This helps keep the eggs from scrambling when added to the hot mixture.)
- While constantly whisking the hot milk in the pot, add the egg/hot milk mixture.
- Let come back up to a boil again while whisking non-stop. You’ll now see it starting to thicken up.
- After about 1 minute of a light boil, turn off heat. Add salt and vanilla, and transfer to bowl.
- Set in fridge to cool while making crusts.
For the Crust:
- Mix together all ingredients in large bowl with rubber spatula, a thick dough will form.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and place in fridge for at least one hour to firm up.
- After one hour, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Once firm, place onto a cassava flour dusted work top and sprinkle some more flour on top of the dough.
- Roll out into a large sheet, that is ⅛” thick.
- Punch out 1½” size circles and press into the cavities of an ungreased mini muffin pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes, they will get golden brown.(you may need to repeat this process several times, depending on the size of your mini muffin pan. It makes quite a bit!)
- Slice banana into very thin slices(about 30 slices).
- Spoon about 1 teaspoon worth of pudding into each cooled crust.
- Top with a single banana slice, then spoon some chocolate over the whole top (the chocolate covering the banana will keep the banana from going brown too quick).
- Let set up in fridge, and enjoy!
- These will be good for 5 days in an airtight container set in fridge.
Level: Easy The egg yolk cannot be substituted, it is needed to thicken the pudding. Xanthan Gum is important in the crust and should not be omitted. The egg in the crust can be subbed for a flax egg.
Serving Size 1 bite
Servings Per Container 30 bites
Amount Per Serving
Calories 60 Calories from Fat 27
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3g 5%
Saturated Fat 2g 10%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 10mg 3%
Sodium 15mg 1%
Total Carbohydrate 10g 3%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Protein 1g 2%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.