Black Forest Cupcakes
The realllllly cool thing about these(besides being super tasty) is it can be made into a cake too! Bake the batter into an 8" cake and top with cherry filling, and whipped cream! Show stopper!!
Servings: 10 cupcakes
Chocolate Cupcake Ingredients
- ½ cup cassava flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup warm water
Cherry Filling Ingredients
- 1/2 heaping cup sweet dark cherries you can find them in the freezer section
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon arrowroot flour dissolved into 1/2 tbsp water
Whipped Cream Icing Ingredients
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk coconut milk solids scooped from top. Best results if refrigerated overnight
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Mix together the cassava flour, coconut sugar, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder until well combined.
- Mix together the egg, coconut oil, vanilla, and warm water until well combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, until combined. Divide evenly in muffin pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool.
For the Cherry Filling
- In small saucepan, combine cherries, water and lemon juice.
- On medium heat, let mixture come to a light boil.
- At this point, add the arrowroot mixture and stir. You will now see it thicken.
- Continue cooking on medium heat for 8 minutes until some of the water in it dissolves and it is a slightly thickened.
- Let cool completely in fridge while making the whipped cream.
For the Whipped Cream Icing
- Scoop coconut fat off tops of cans and dispose of the liquid.
- Whip with whip attachment on stand mixer or with hand mixer.
- Once fluffy, add in maple syrup.
- Mix until just combined. Set in fridge.
- Scoop out centers in each cupcake and fill with a spoonful of the cherry filling.
- Pipe(or spread) whipped cream icing over the tops of each cupcake.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings and another cherry(optional)! Enjoy!
Serving Size 1 cupcake
Servings Per Container 10
Amount Per Serving
Calories 220 Calories from Fat 135
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15g 23%
Saturated Fat 15g 75%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 20mg 7%
Sodium 170mg 7%
Total Carbohydrate 25g 8%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Protein 2g 4%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.