These light and crispy meringue cookies are extra chocolatey with pockets of gooey, chocolate chunks. Can you believe these are paleo-friendly AND come in under 70 calories each?
Chocolate Meringue Cookies
Who doesn’t love a good cookie?! We decided to make some amazing meringue cookies that would work for our paleo friends. Meringue cookies are normally made with non-paleo cane sugar. To make them paleo-friendly, we had to swap the cane sugar for coconut sugar. We’ve made many chocolatey cookie recipes and these were our favorites – Paleo Chocolate Hazelnut Stuffed Cookies, Double Chocolate Cookies, and Paleo Triple Chocolate Stuffed Cookies.
To get started, preheat your oven to 325℉ and line three baking sheets with parchment paper (we’re making a lot of cookies here). Then melt 8 ounces of chocolate and mix in the vanilla extract. We used our Signature Dark chocolate bars and chopped them into chunks before melting them.
To make the meringue, you must separate the egg whites and the yolks; you only need the egg whites for this recipe (we recommend using an egg separator). Next, beat the egg whites on medium-high speed using an electric hand mixer until stiff peaks form. The goal is to get air into your egg whites.
The two words to remember in the next couple of steps are slow and gentle so you don’t allow the egg whites to deflate. Slowly start mixing the coconut sugar with the egg whites until thoroughly combined. Then gently fold in the melted chocolate in small amounts, the 2 ounces of chocolate chunks and, if you like, walnuts. Folding in the chocolate is oddly satisfying.
Scoop the cookie dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets, about 1 ½ tablespoons per cookie. Space them out evenly on the sheet about 2 inches apart. All you have to do after that is bake them for 10-12 minutes and then let them rest at room temperature for 10-15 minutes.
Evolved Products You’ll Need
•10 ounces (4- 2.5 oz bars) Evolved Signature Dark Chocolate
For Keto Version (we haven’t tested how these come out)
Chocolate Meringue Cookies
- 8 ounces dark bittersweet chocolate broken into pieces for melting
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup chopped walnuts optional
- 2 ounces dark bittersweet chocolate for batter
- Preheat the oven to 325℉ and line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Melt the 8 ounces of chocolate in a medium-size microwave-safe bowl. Then add pure vanilla extract and salt, and set aside.
- In another medium-size bowl, beat egg whites on medium to high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Slowly add the coconut sugar and continue beating about 4 minutes.
- Gently fold the melted chocolate in small amounts into the meringue.
- Then fold in the remaining 2 ounces of chocolate and chopped walnuts.
- Scoop 1½ tablespoons of cookie dough for each cookie and place about 2” apart on the parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Place in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes before placing on a rack. Enjoy!