Flash back to being in kindergarten... opening your lunch box... discovering your snack today is Dunkaroos... bragging to allllll your friends... then go back to class all hyped up on sugar. BEST DAY EVER!
Servings: 10 servings
- ½ cup cashew butter
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg OR 1 flax egg*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup cassava flour
Dunkaroo Icing Ingredients
- ⅔ cup plain coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or sticky sweetener of choice
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Natural colored sprinkles optional
*For a chocolate icing version, just use Chocolate Spread!
For the Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Beat together cashew butter and coconut sugar in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or hand mixer with beaters.
- Once fluffy and light in color, stop the machine, scrape down the sides, and add the egg.
- Beat again until the egg is combined, then add the rest of dry ingredients.
- Once a thick dough ball is formed, scoop onto a large piece of parchment paper and press into a rectangle shape.
- Place another large piece of parchment paper over that, and with a rolling pin, roll into a thin sheet, about ¼” thick (if you notice the dough is too sticky, sprinkle some extra cassava flour where you feel is needed).
- Cut out shapes, and transfer to a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Roll the scrap pieces of dough back into a ball, roll out again, and repeat previous steps until all dough is used up. We used a 3 1/2" x 2" cookie cutter (doesn't have to be monkey-shaped) and got about 20 cookies.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes (until slightly browned).
- Pull from oven and let cool completely while preparing the icing.
For the Dunkaroo Icing
- If the coconut butter is very solid, place in the microwave for 10-second intervals until it is soft (but not completely melted).
- Either with an electric or stand mixer, beat all the ingredients together except for the sprinkles.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and add sprinkles to top.
- Serve with cooled cookies and enjoy!
*1 tbsp ground flax seed plus 3 tbsp water, soaked for 5 minutes
Serving Size 2 pieces
Servings Per Container 10
Amount Per Serving
Calories 275 Calories from Fat 162
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18g 28%
Saturated Fat 7g 35%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 20mg 7%
Sodium 250mg 10%
Total Carbohydrate 25g 8%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Protein 2g 4%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.