Paleo Sweet Potato Muffins with Toasted Marshmallow Topping
Remember Sweet Potato Pie? This is it now. Feel old yet?
Servings: 10 muffins
- ½ cup sweet potato puree
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ⅓ cup cassava flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup chopped dark chocolate
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup water
- .5 ounce powdered gelatin 2 packets
- ¼ cup water
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
For the Muffin:
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- In large bowl mix together sweet potato, maple syrup, egg and coconut oil.
- Whisk in flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon until all lumps are gone.
- Fold in chocolate and nuts at the end and scoop into lined muffin tins.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool while making marshmallow topping.
For the Marshmallow Topping:
- In a saucepan, combine maple syrup and ½ cup water. Bring to light boil on medium heat.
- Continue boiling for 10-15 minutes or until a candy thermometer reaches 240℉.
- While it is boiling, in a small dish, combine gelatin and ¼ cup of water and mix. Set aside.
- Once maple syrup mixture reaches 240℉, take off heat and mix in gelatin mixture with whisk until smooth.
- Transfer to mixer with whip attachment and beat on high for about 10-15 minutes. This will get very light in color and triple in size but still be very thick.
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time while whipping at a high speed until desired consistency.
- *Note* If you accidentally added too much water and are worried it’s too thin, keep whipping, it will thicken up!
- Spoon some fresh marshmallow on top of each muffin, and toast each one with a torch until golden brown. If you don’t have a kitchen torch, you can put each muffin on a rack on the top shelf of the oven and broil on high. Keep your eye on them and don’t walk away from it because they will burn very quickly.
Difficulty Level: Medium
Serving Size 1
Servings Per Container 10
Amount Per Serving
Calories 165 Calories from Fat 63
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7g 11%
Saturated Fat 4g 20%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 20mg 7%
Sodium 89mg 4%
Total Carbohydrate 24g 8%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Protein 2g 4%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.