From the very first bite, the cheesy vegan ricotta filling in these crispy calzones literally just oozes out of the seasoned crust. You won’t even believe it’s completely vegan!
Servings: 1 calzone makes for 2 servings
Calzone Crust Ingredients
- 1 cup almond flour plus 4 tablespoons extra for dusting the parchment paper
- ½ cup arrowroot flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning plus another ½ teaspoon more for sprinkling on top of the dough (we used Frontier Co-Op Herbs of Italy)
- ¼ cup coconut milk or almond milk we used coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for washing over the crust before baking
Vegan Cheese Filling Ingredients
- ¼ cup Kite Hill Dairy Free Almond Milk Ricotta
- 1 cup Violife Vegan Just Like Mozzarella Shreds
- ¼ cup Follow Your Heart Dairy Free Parmesan Style Shredded Cheese
- ½ teaspoon Bragg Nutritional Yeast Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
For the Vegan Cheese Filling
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly in a medium-size bowl. Set aside until ready to fill the dough.
For the Calzone
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place all the crust ingredients, except the olive oil, into a large mixing bowl. Using a rubber spatula, mix thoroughly until you form a dough ball.
- Dust your parchment paper with 2 tablespoons of almond flour and place the dough ball in the middle.
- Dust 2 more tablespoons of almond flour on top of the dough and place another piece of parchment paper on top of it. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to an 8” circle/oval in diameter.
- Place your vegan cheese mixture on one side of the dough circle.
- Dab some olive oil around the perimeter of the dough. Gently fold the other side over the dough and pinch the ends together to seal (the olive oil helps to keep the dough ends together).
- Brush some more olive oil over the top of the calzone plus the extra 1⁄2 teaspoon Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until you see a slightly golden-brown crust.
- Take out of the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before slicing in half. Enjoy with your favorite marinara sauce!
Serving Size 1 half-calzone
Servings Per Container 2
Amount Per Serving
Calories 641 Calories from Fat 414
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46g 71%
Saturated Fat 16g 80%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 1325mg 55%
Total Carbohydrate 58g 19%
Dietary Fiber 6g 24%
Protein 10g 20%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.