Vegan Cashew Cannolis
These require a little extra work than some other recipes you may find, but let me tell you, it is WORTH it. These cannolis are a GAME CHANGER.
Servings: 12 cannolis
Cannoli Cream Filling Ingredients
- ½ cup cashews soaked for 24 hours then drained
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons full fat coconut milk skimmed off the top of a can
- 1 ounce melted dark chocolate
Cannoli Shell Ingredients
- ⅓ cup cassava flour
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 flax egg 1 tablespoon ground flax seed soaked in 3 tablespoons water for 5 minutes
- ⅓ cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
For the Cannoli Cream Filling
- Using a food processor, puree soaked and drained cashews just until it is a chunky, grainy texture similar to ricotta cheese.
- Pulse in the coconut sugar, cinnamon and coconut milk just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Set the filling in the fridge while making the shells.
For the Cannoli Shells
- Preheat your waffle cone iron.
- Whisk all the dry ingredients together and then incorporate the wet ingredients.
- Spoon about ½ tbsp of the batter onto the waffle cone iron and keep closed for 2-3 minutes.*
- When it is golden brown, peel the waffle off the iron and wrap it around something cylinder-shaped (handle of a wooden spoon, thin rolling pin, etc.).
- Keep the waffle wrapped on the object until it is cooled and hardened so it can hold its shape as a shell when taken off.
- Once it cools, dip each side of the shell into the melted chocolate and place them in the fridge or freezer until they set.
- Fill each cannoli shell with the prepared cannoli cream**.
- Enjoy right away or store in the fridge in an airtight container until ready to eat.
*All waffle makers can vary so you might need to play around with the time. **We scooped our cannoli cream into a small ziplock bag and snipped a small corner of it off to make a “piping bag” so filling the cannolis is easier 🙂 Difficulty Level: Easy
Serving Size 1 cannoli
Servings Per Container 12
Amount Per Serving
Calories 100 Calories from Fat 54
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6g 9%
Saturated Fat 3g 15%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 5mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 11g 4%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Protein 1g 2%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.